building a power outage alert notification:
We will build a device to notify us in case of a power outage in our home. For that we just need to re-purpose a GSM tracker.
Post-scriptum: do not waste any time on the Orange Pi 2G IoT.
While the idea and the hardware sound nice, after working a bit with it, there are just too many issues:
- the official Linux distributions are old (> 1 year), the kernel is even older (it still is a 3.10)
- the serial port is unstable (freeze on overrun)
- the wifi is very unstable
- the wifi MAC changes at every boot
- the battery managment actually does not work at at all (no power and no charging due to a mistake in the design)
- it is not supported by armbian
Published: 2018-05-27 by King Kévin